Monday 25 March 2013

When A Plan Comes Together

For the past week or so, I've been working on a techniques swatch book for myself and wanted to do some examples with texture paste. Not having any texture paste made my task difficult and the Range wanted me to part with £9.99 for a tub so I decided to attempt to make my own. Well, the family haven't heard the end of my 'for pennies' version, and why would they, it's fantastic!

I'd heard that you can use talc or cornflour to make texture paste but I wanted a rough grainy look, so I went with bicarb (baking soda) - I guess salt would work too and maybe seasalt would react interestingly with any ink. (mmmm something to try later I think) I mixed the bicarb with a little white acrylic paint and PVA then slapped it on through a tyre tread mask from That Special Touch. I oversprayed the dried paste with various inks and micas - in real life it looks very oil on water/muddy which was what I was going for.




UPDATE
Tried seasalt - very bad idea, but cornflour makes a really nice fine  paste.

1 comment:

  1. Very clever! I hope everyone reading the blog gives it a go!

    ReplyDelete